Monday, May 26, 2014

Stir-Fry with Fennel, Kohlrabi, Carrot, Cucumber, and Leek

StirFryOn Friday, I checked my “compost” box in my fridge. It had the green parts of one leek and stalks and greens of one fennel. In addition, I peeled two carrots, one kohlrabi and one cucumber for the kids’ salad for lunch. That left me with 300g still perfectly usable vegetable parts that I was determined to eat for lunch.

As I was in a hurry, I opted for this quick stir-fry. It really only takes less than 10 minutes to have this dish ready! If you want, you can serve some cooked rice with it. Then this portion would be enough for two.

For one portion you need:

  • 300g stalks, stems, leaves, greens, or peels of organic, well-washed vegetables

  • 1 Tbsp sunflower or olive oil

  • 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce

  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil

  • chili to taste

  • a handful of nuts – I had pistachios, but would have used cashews if I’d had some :)

  • fresh coriander


Chop the vegetables very small – especially the fennel. If left too big, they will be too hard to eat. Heat oil in a heavy pan and add vegetables. Fry some 3-4 minutes over a medium heat, then add chili and garlic, stir and fry 1-2 minutes more. Then add nuts, soy sauce, sesame oil and a bit of water (3-4 Tbsp), and let simmer 2 more minutes. Check salt – add if needed.

Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment