Sunday, May 11, 2014

Orange and White Chocolate Ice Cream

IMG_4325Here's the ice cream recipe I promised yesterday! I love the combination of white chocolate and orange, there's something royal in it. (Not everyone shared my opinion, though, but most did!)

I've been making ice cream for some time now, but so far I've never tried recipes involving egg yolks. I've thought they're not necessary - if you buy ice cream at the supermarket, there's no egg in them either! (But some artificial thickening agents to compensate, I guess...). But now that I gave it a try, I do understand there is a clear advantage when using eggs in ice cream: the texture is much creamier, even after two days of freezing.

For about 5 smallish servings you need:

  • 3 egg yolks

  • 100g sugar

  • 50g white chocolate

  • 300ml milk

  • 200ml heavy cream

  • 1 Tbsp dried orange peel powder (if you don't have any, try grated orange zest instead!)


First, choose a baking bowl that you can use for a hot-water bath. Then, place yolks and sugar in the bowl and mix until pale yellow. Scald 150ml milk and beat it to the yolk-sugar-mixture. Now heat the custard in hot-water bath, constantly stirring, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be careful, it overcooks easily! Remove from the heat and add the rest of the milk, cream, melted white chocolate, and the orange peel powder and stir until well combined. Chill for a couple of hours.

Prepare the ice-cream according to the instructions of your ice-cream maker. Serve with rhubarb tarte Tatin, for example!

P.S. To make orange peel powder, I dried peels of organic oranges in the oven, at 50 C. It took about 24 hours for them to be totally dry - and during that time, there was a heavenly smell at hour house! Then I asked a friend to grind the dried peels into powder (I don't have any machines at my kitchen, besides ice cream maker, coffee grinder, espresso machine, water boiler, and an old hand mixer...). I warmly recommend!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great and its an interesting combo that I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] So in the past months, I’ve developed a couple of new habits to reduce my food waste. For instance, I try to use up all I have in the fridge and cupboards before going grocery shopping (see my No Cost Food Week). But I’ve also started to put those carrot, potato, and orange peels, kohlrabi leaves, radish greens, and so on, into use. Just one example is the orange peel powder, needed to make Orange and White Chocolate Ice Cream. […]

    ReplyDelete