Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rösti - the Foolproof Recipe

IMG_3849As the title suggests, this originally Swiss dish consisting of potatoes, salt, and butter or goose fat, is not so easy to prepare as one would  think. There is a huge amount of recipes available, and my first attempt to making rösti at home was such a catastrophe that I decided never to try it again.


My mistake that time was to use raw potatoes as that particular recipe suggested. This resulted in a grayish mass that I just wouldn’t get cooked thoroughly. Yuck.


But in my quest for low-budget dishes I thought I’d have to give rösti another try. I did some research on the subject, and tried out a new method, in which unpeeled potatoes are cooked for a few minutes, the let stand for a couple of hours, then peeled and grated - and voilà! This time, my röstis turned out perfect. So here’s a foolproof recipe for the tastiest dish that ever was made out of potatoes:


For 5 portions you need:




  • 500g potatoes

  • one medium-sized carrot

  • salt to taste

  • some olive oil or butter for frying

  • 5 organic eggs (optional)


Choose potatoes of more or less the same size. Wash them well, place in a pan and cover with water. Add 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. For medium-sized potatoes, cook for 8 minutes. If your potatoes are small, 6 minutes is enough, if very large, you might want to cook them a bit more. Place the potatoes in cold water and let stand at least until they’ve cooled. If possible, cook the potatoes in the morning and let stand until dinner-time.


Now, peel the potatoes and grate them coarsely. Peel the carrot and grate as well. Combine the grated potato, carrot, and some salt (I used 1/2 tsp). Heat oil or butter in a large pan (I was using 2 pans to be able to fry all 5 röstis at the same time). With wet hands, form 5 flat “cakes” out of the potato mass. Fry over medium to low heat from both sides, until golden brown and cooked form the inside as well. This will take about 10 minutes per side.


Once thoroughly cooked, place röstis on a serving plate. If you want, you can fry 5 eggs and place one fried egg on top of each rösti. This results in a decadently delicious dish…! I had made one rösti per person, but if you’re very hungry (or your guests are), I’d recommend two per person. Serve with a green salad and a beer - natürlich!

No comments:

Post a Comment