Friday, January 10, 2014

Going Light

IMG_3734In January, all newspapers and magazines are full of articles or tips about healthy diets and losing weight. A friend suggested  I should blog about light recipes, too, and for a moment I thought of doing that. But then I realized it really isn’t me. I don’t believe in diets.


First of all, there’s no real proof that any of them would result in permanent weight loss. Some might even be unhealthy in the long run. Second, I’m not systematic enough to follow any such restrictive diet and to memorize which food items exactly are “allowed” and which are not. Thirdly, I think diets are just boring - I love variety, and wouldn’t voluntarily give up eating pasta or bread, for instance. Let alone try those diets aiming at a quick weight loss where you’re for example supposed to eat only cabbage soup for one week…!


And yet, I’m not saying I wouldn’t give my weight any thought at this time of the year. I mean, my Christmas cookie project was even a bit too successful, so I do need to do something if I want to fit easily in my current clothes again. But instead of dieting, I’m going to keep two things in mind.


First, all of those diets do seem to have two things in common: one should eat less sugar and more veggies. But that doesn’t mean ONLY veggies and NO sugar. Because the second thing I try to keep in mind is not to exaggerate. I still remember how our chemistry teacher would claim that everything could be a poison, it was just a matter of quantity. Even water would be a poison if you drank gallons of it. Applying the same idea, I’d claim that all foods can be light, it’s just a question of how much you eat. That’s why I had no problem starting my balanced new diet with this creamy reindeer pasta - but I was careful not to have too much of it.


Then again, there’s another area where I definitely do need to go light in the following weeks - and that’s budget. So my next project will be about (mostly) seasonal light-budget dishes. So stay tuned, especially if you - like myself - lost any kind of common sense in shopping/eating out/going out during the holiday season..!


PS. The pasta recipe will follow later :)

1 comment:

  1. Be on a diet or eating healthy, are two different things. Eating pasta and white bread isn´t healthy, eating cabbage soup for a week is insane. I´m against diets! People should eat healthy and nutritious food. If you want to go healthy and eat lean food, eating pasta won´t help, even in the small amount. Giving up on some food doesn´t only mean that you loose weight, but you do well to your health. And I´m not talking about products promoted as "light", this is the worst you can eat. I mean healthy food as good carbs found in veggies, healthy sugar found in fruits, super foods, lean meat and other sources of protein and sources of good fats. That is just my personal opinion :)

    ReplyDelete