Monday, January 13, 2014

Hummus, or When the Chickpea Died and Went to Heaven

IMG_3787I had cooked too much chickpeas for my tagine (see my previous post) and was wondering what to do with them when I saw this recipe for hummus, a delicious spread made of cooked chickpeas, tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. The recipe comes from my newest cookbook, called Jerusalem and written by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. A very recommendable book with interesting stories, great pictures - and foolproof recipes, at least so far!


I wanted to make a smaller portion, so the quantities are not exactly the same in the “Jerusalem” version of the recipe.

You need:

  • 300g cooked chickpeas

  • 150g tahini paste

  • 1 big garlic clove or 2 smaller ones

  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice

  • salt to taste

  • about 50ml water (I used the cooking water from the chickpeas)


Place all ingredients apart from water in a food processor bowl. Pulse until smooth, and then add enough water to form a creamy paste. Place your hummus in a serving bowl and cover. Let stand in room temperature about 30 minutes before serving. If anything is left over, store in the fridge.


I decorated my hummus with black olives, slices of red pepper, lemon, and some parsley, and served it with fresh white bread as a starter. Yum!


P.S. In my opinion, hummus is at its best the day you make it!

1 comment:

  1. I love hummus! I just posted a roasted red pepper version that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete