Monday, September 16, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

MuffinsI’ve been a fan and a regular baker of muffins ever since a cousin of mine served Bright Day Banana Muffins for breakfast once I was visiting her back in the 90’s. I’ve tried many, many different kinds of muffins after that, but nothing seemed to be of any serious challenge to these legendary Bright Day Banana Muffins, until... Recently, I discovered this recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins in a cookbook called “New York - les recettes culte” (yes, do buy the book, it's worth every cent! and no, I don't get paid to say so!). There’s something almost otherworldly in the ingenious combination of tastes and structures here.


For 12 muffins you’ll need (and don’t even consider making just half of the dough to make 6 muffins, you sooooo will regret it!):


Dry ingredients:




  • 320g wheat flour

  • 3 Tbsp poppy seeds

  • ½ tsp salt (if you use salted butter, a bit less is needed)

  • 3 tsp baking powder


Liquid ingredients:




  • zest of 1 lemon

  • 150g sugar

  • 125g melted butter (or margarine for dairy-free)

  • 2 eggs

  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice

  • 20cl natural yoghurt (or soy yoghurt for dairy-free)


Fruit:




  • 100g peeled and grated apple

  • 100g peeled pear, cut into small cubes


Icing:




  • 125g confectioners’ sugar

  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice


Oh, how I love to bake muffins! The procedure is always the same: combine dry ingredients in a baking bowl. In another one, mix together the liquid ones. Then pour the liquid ones onto the dry ones, and stir until well combined. Then add fruit and stir again. Pour the batter into a muffin pan and bake in a preheated (190 Celsius) oven for some 25 minutes. Take the muffins out of the pan, let them cool a little bit and then brush with the icing (another technique is to dip them upside down in the icing - for me it didn’t work, it was just a mess..). Oh, and for the icing you just need to combine sugar & juice - if it’s too stiff, and a bit more juice, and if it’s too liquid, add a bit more sugar! Decorate with poppy seeds and serve with your favourite coffee or tea!


PS. I've started to replace the apple by pear, so I use 200g pear instead. And when buying poppy seeds, do make sure that the expiry date is a long time ahead; otherwise the seeds might have an unpleasant rancid taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment