The other day I had a sudden craving for something with almonds and honey, so I did a quick Google search and found a great recipe in "A Sweet Spoonful". I tried the recipe, and it was great, but then I got an even better idea: I merged that recipe with one of my all-time favourites, Luscious Lemon Cake, and a new winning recipe was born! What I love about this cake is how easy and fast you can make it, how great it tastes, and how well it keeps - well, three days is my maximum, but only because there just hasn't been anything left any more...!
Ingredients:
- 250g butter (or margarine - I nowadays use a mixture a butter and margarine)
- 80 grams (brown) sugar
- 4 eggs (I urge you to use only organic eggs, preferably from a farm you know yourself!)
- 130g flour - I used whole-grain wheat and spelt
- 150g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- grated zest and juice of ½ lemon, organic, non-treated
- 1 heaped Tbsp honey
First, set your oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Beat soft butter with sugar until it's pale and smooth. Then add eggs, one by one, and then the lemon zest. Mix together dry ingredients and mix together with the butter-egg-sugar mixture. Pour into a buttered round form (24cm) and bake about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn onto a big plate and while the cake is still warm, sprinkle generously with honey-lemon-juice mixture. Let cool and serve with a dollop of ice-cream or chantilly. If you want, you can decorate the cake with some confectioners' sugar - especially if the surface doesn't look perfect, like often happens to me, at least!
Just doing this for the first time. Lets see how it comes out...
ReplyDeleteOh, how did it come out? I'm intrigued :)
ReplyDelete