Friday, September 27, 2013

Granola with Nuts, Dried Fruit, and Cinnamon

IMG_3053I didn’t intend to write about granola today. Instead, I had planned to present the perfect vegan pancakes! Well, the thing is, I’ve been testing them the whole week now, and I couldn't find any recipe that actually worked: either they were impossible to cook, or they tasted horrible, or both. But I’m sure I’ll find one and as soon as I do, I’ll post it!


So, I’m writing about granola, which is oven-cooked muesli. Muesli can be delicious, too, but what is so special about granola is the irresistible smell it creates - as long as you don’t forget you have it in the oven, like already happened to me a couple of times ;)


You’ll need:




  • 200g rolled oats

  • 30g butter (or margarine)

  • 3 Tbsp sunflower oil

  • 2 Tbsp honey (or agave syrup)

  • 2 Tbsp dark sugar

  • a pinch of salt

  • ½ tsp cinnamon

  • 100g chopped nuts - pecan, walnuts, hazelnuts..

  • 50g dried fruit - sultanas, apples, cranberries..


In a small pan, melt butter or margarine. Add oil, honey, sugar, salt, and cinnamon, and stir. Place the rolled oats in a baking bowl, pour the liquid mixture on top, and stir, making sure that all oats get moist. Spread evenly on an oven pan covered with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven in 150 degrees for about 15 minutes. After 7-8 minutes or so, take the pan out, turn the oats so that the ones from below get to the surface. At the same time, add the nuts evenly on top of the oats. (I’ve also tried adding the nuts in the beginning, but they burn quite easily, so I find this strategy better.) Bake until golden and crispy. Take out of the oven, let cool, transfer in a serving bowl, and add dried fruit.


Serve with plain natural (soy) yoghurt and some fresh fruit.


This is my last post in the brunch series - hope you found some useful ideas for your weed-end breakfasts! Next week I'll be writing about child-friendly veggie dishes, but now I'm heading to Zurich for two nights - and hopefully find a nice brunch place to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment