Friday, December 5, 2014

Day 5: Hallongrottor - the Best Cookies in the World

2014-12-05 20.09.09When I was a kid, my grandmother used to bake cookies that we called the Best-in-the-world. They were small round sandwich cookies with raspberry jam in the middle. Unfortunately, I don’t have the recipe anymore.

But maybe I wouldn’t need it, either: looking at my family devouring the first batch of Hallongrottor yesterday, I could see me and my cousins devouring the Best-in-the-world-cookies. The first batch was gone before I even found the tin box in which I had planned to store them. But luckily, they are extremely easy and quick to do! So today, I baked again ;)

Here’s a revised recipe from last year. This time, I added egg yolk in the dough, to make it more manageable. (I used to add a bit of water if needed, but it's not a very good idea: the cookies tend to spread more in the oven...)

For 25-30 hallongrottor you need




  • 225g butter or vegan margarine

  • 85g sugar

  • 250g all-purpose flour

  • 60g marsánpulver (or other vanilla pudding powder)

  • 1 ⅕ tsp baking powder

  • 1 pinch of salt (only if using non-salt butter)

  • 2 egg yolks

  • raspberry jam


Preheat your oven to 180 C. Cut the butter into small cubes and place in a baking bowl. In another bowl, combine sugar, flour, vanilla pudding powder, baking powder, and salt (if using). Work the mixture with your fingertips until fine and crumbly, then add egg yolks and work the dough until it's easy to form it into a ball.


Divide the dough into 25-30 parts (mine weighed 20g). Roll each of them into a small ball and place on an oven tray covered with parchment paper. Press a hole in the middle of each cookie, using your finger, and fill the holes with raspberry jam. Bake about 12-15 minutes, or until well cooked but not brown yet.


Store them very soon after baking if you want to have any left for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment