Ten days to go, and I still hadn't baked almost any of the iconic German Christmas cookies - Zimtsterne, Spitzbuben, Zedernbrot, Linzerschnitte...So now it was time to get back to the track. I decided to bake Linzer cookies, the recipe of which I was almost sure I already shared last year - but I didn't... So now it's time to share it!
These sandwich cookies taste a bit like gingerbread but they are much softer! Fill them with any red jam that you like - my favourite is a mixture of raspberry and redcurrant jam.
This is what you need:
- 150g softened butter
- 50g sugar
- 1 egg
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 75 ground almonds
- 75g ground hazelnuts
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
- red jam (raspberry, redcurrant...) for the filling
- some confectioner's sugar to decorate
This is how to proceed:
Beat butter and sugar until the mixture is creamy. Add the egg and stir until well combined. In another bowl, combine all the other dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar-egg-mixture and stir until you get a smooth batter. It is a bit liquid at this point, but don't add any flour!
Let the dough rest in the fridge about 2 hours.
Now, preheat the oven to 180C. Roll the dough out and cut hearts (or other forms of your liking) with a cookie cutter. Bake the cookies until the start to get some colour.
Once out of the oven, let the cookies cool down. Then spread jam evenly on the flat side of half of the cookies. Sandwich with the rest of the cookies. Sprinkle with some powder sugar and serve!
If you're planning to keep the cookies longer, do the sandwiching part only just before serving them.
No comments:
Post a Comment