Today I was going to buy some chili sauce at the supermarket. Then I took a look at the list of ingredients of the brand available in my grocery shop and at the price. Guess what? 2€ for a smallish bottle of something that consisted mainly of water and sugar!I left the bottle on the shelf and decided to try to make my own chili sauce.
It was super easy - and the ingredients cost next to nothing (my estimate is around 30 cents). Another good thing is, you can regulate the amount of chili yourself!
This recipe is based on three different recipes that I found with a quick Google search for “homemade chili sauce”. There were around 13 million results, so I guess there are a lot of people doing chili sauce at home :D
This is what you need:
- 100ml sugar
- 50ml rice or white wine vinegar
- 50ml + 2 Tbsp water
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 espresso spoon of chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
And this is how to do it:
Combine all ingredients except for the flour and 2 Tbsp water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and let simmer 2-3 minutes. Now mix well the flour in the remaining water, pour in the pan and whisk energetically. Let simmer over a low heat until the sauce thickens, or about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool – and voilà! Your homemade chili sauce is ready to be used!
My bet is that this stuff keeps well quite long in the fridge. And even if it doesn’t, there’s way too much chili for you to taste any difference :D
No comments:
Post a Comment