Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sweet Pesto with Mint and Almonds

IMG_4003The other night I was lying in my bed and couldn’t sleep. Then suddenly I had a vision: sweet pesto! With mint instead of basil and almonds instead of pine nuts. I just couldn’t wait until next day to try it out!

I also wanted to check if I was the first person ever to have thought about making a sweet pesto out of mint, honey, and almonds. I hoped I was. I was already picturing every supermarket in Finland selling a kit including all that it takes to make THE Mint Pesto, just like what happened with the (now) famous avocado pasta.

A quick google search revealed the bitter truth: mint pesto had already been invented. But still, mint pesto is one of the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted! It’s easy to do and fits perfectly with many fruit desserts. So far, I’ve had it with fresh pineapple, mango, and fruit salad, but it must be great with strawberries, ice cream, and even chocolate cake! In fact, I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t be even better with a bit of mint pesto on top!

This is what you need:

  • 15g fresh mint (NOT peppermint!)

  • 20g honey or agave syrup

  • 25g bleached almonds

  • 25g almond/hazelnut/sunflower oil


Place mint leaves, honey, almonds, and oil in your food processor and mix until smooth. Add a bit water if needed. That’s it!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. How much water should one add in the first step? It's not included in your list of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I'll correct that! NO water needed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. truly inspired! do you ever feel like all the good ideas have already been done? there are so many crazy inventive people out there...I've had this same thing happen to me before but it still means you thought of it!
    I like this idea and I think it will be a super addition to our summer fruit salads.

    ReplyDelete