Friday, October 25, 2013

How to Create a Sourdough Starter in Four Easy Steps

13100097What does this sweet braided loaf have to do with sourdough? Well, in my kitchen - everything! Instead of yeast, I use exclusively a sourdough starter in salty and sweet baking. And no, although it’s called sourdough in English, it doesn’t have to taste sour at all.


In a week or so, I’ll be posting more of my favourite sourdough recipes. But in order for you to try them out, you’ll need a sourdough starter of your own! Maybe you have a friend who can give you some of their starter (like I did before I dared trying to create my own starter), but if you don’t, this post is exactly for you! So, today I’ll explain how to create your own sourdough starter.


Creating a sourdough starter (or a levain, like the French call it) is ridiculously easy. You need flour, water, a glass jar and about one week of time - but this is only passive time, because actually you only need to watch it grow - seriously!


Ready? Here’s how to start your own sourdough starter in 4 easy steps:


Step 1. In a glass jar, mix together 100g whole-grain rye or spelt flour and 100g water. Partially cover with the lid but make sure some air gets in. Another technique is to cover the jar with a damp kitchen towel. Let the jar stand in room temperature until it starts to bubble. This will take about 48 hours or more. Make sure that the starter only fills the jar less than halfway - once your starter is well-established, it will double in volume in 6-8 hours after refreshing!


Step 2. Now it’s time for the first feeding or refreshing of your best-friend-to-be. Discard half of the starter, then add again 100g water and 100g whole-grain rye or spelt flour. Mix using a fork. Cover as before, and wait until it starts to bubble. This time it should take a bit less time.


Step 3. In the second refreshing, discard about two thirds of the starter, and add again 100g water and 100g whole-grain flour. Mix with a fork. Now your starter is almost ready to use! Wait once again until it starts to bubble - it should take 12-24 hours this time, or something might have gone wrong.


Step 4. When it bubbles, refresh as in step 3, but instead of whole-grain flour, use either type 550 or 1050 flour. A whole-grain starter is much more difficult to maintain - it should be possible, but all my experiences have resulted in a rotten starter after a couple of weeks. So, take it easy and go for the 550 or 1050 flour.


IMG_2980If everything went well, your starter should have a sour but not unpleasant smell - anything like yoghurt, slightly alcoholic, cider or apples is fine. If the smell is unpleasant, start all over. You might have done everything right, but it could have been the weather - sourdough started doesn’t like when it’s too hot or too humid.


Or you might have committed the biggest mistake ever and covered the starter! DO NOT COVER THE STARTER COMPLETELY, OR IT WILL DIE. This is why my first attempts resulted in a stinky, dead starter. Before I got the hang of it, I thought it was impossible or the result of some higher-level magic to create a starter. But trust me, it isn’t. Just let the starter breathe.


The French usually give their sourdough starter a name. What will yours be called? :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks amazing, thanks for the detailed instructions! I'm looking forward to trying your sourdough recipes as soon as I get back home and to my oven (there's no oven in my Spanish flat). Just for curiosity: why do you discard half of the starter in step two? Wouldn't it work if you just made a smaller amount to begin with? Also, what kind of flour would you use in Finland instead of the German 550/1050 types?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, let me know about the results!! I guess the starter would work with a smaller amount as well, but if you're worried about wasting flour, you don't have to - the amount you discard in the beginning is the same you'll be using to bake your bread in the future. So you'll only have to throw away starter 3-4 times, after that, you'll be using everything for baking. And why did I discard any to begin with? Well, first of all my recipient would have been too small, and second, even if I'd had a bigger one, the amount at the end would have been too much for my humble use (well, it's not humble any more, have to say:) ).

    Regarding the different flour types, I just sent an inquiry to Myllyn Paras - let's see what they answer! It's very confusing with the different flour types and so far, I haven't been able to find any information about the equivalences - well, if it's of any help, type 550 flour is T55 in France and 0 in Italy, and type 1050 is T110 and 2, respectively. I'd guess type 1050 is "sämpyläjauho" in Finland, but before saying anything for sure, I'll wait for the answer!

    I just baked sourdough grissini, they're delicious.. stay tuned for the recipe! And have fun in Spain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaisa, After completing step 4 the starter is ready to use. So, if I use part of it in my baking, do I need to replenish it once more with 100g flour and 100ml water, in order to keep it going? And how should I store it if I know that I will not be baking in the next few days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you need to feed your starter daily to prevent it from dying! You should always feed it with more or less the same amount of water and flour, so if you have 30g left of your starter, feed it with 30g flour and 30ml water. But if you've got a lot of it, discard some, or you'll end up with too much starter.

    If not using the starter, place it in the fridge 2-3 hours after feeding. You can store it easily 1-2 weeks - my record was 2 months! But I'd suggest you don't try this until your starter has well established.

    Hey, and congrats to your new family member :) Hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine!

    ReplyDelete